NISHNAWBE-ASKI LEGAL SERVICES CORPORATION
GLADUE WRITER – TIMMINS
Full-time at 35 hours per week
NALSC’s Gladue Program prepares reports for members of NAN who are involved with the criminal court system. Reports are prepared in accordance with the Gladue sentencing principles as per section 718.2(e) of the Criminal Code. Gladue Reports provide courts with a comprehensive account of the person’s life circumstances and the systemic barriers they have faced. Reports also make recommendations for alternatives to custody that are culturally-based and focused on healing. This information is collected through interviews with the offender and by verifying with third parties: family, service-providers and community members.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Under the immediate supervision of the Gladue Team Lead and direction of program leadership, the Gladue Writer will receive training in order to:
• Prepare comprehensive, accurate, and objective reports that include Gladue factors and detailed restorative justice options;
• Conduct interviews with clients, family members, and contacts in NAN First Nations;
• Formally request documentation that will contribute to the reports;
• Coordinate with judges and defence lawyers, and attend court to support clients;
• Perform outreach and provide education on Gladue as appropriate and directed;
• Complete reporting as required and directed;
• Case management and status updates on files.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Strong writing and research abilities;
• Ability to articulate social justice issues;
• Knowledge of the Canadian criminal justice system and the court process;
• Understanding of the colonial legacy of Canada and its impact on First Nations people;
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
• Ability to travel;
• A criminal records check (CPIC) and vulnerable sector check is required.
Please forward your application to Human Resources by May 19, 2020, to:
Colette Shwetz, Human Resources Manager 1805 Arthur Street East
Thunder Bay, ON P7C 2R6 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.